1) What’s your picture of the ideal friend?
2) How does the friendship of David and Jonathan compare with our common notions of “friendship”?
Our church is observing Black History Month as one expression of our mission to grow as a cross-cultural community. And Black history includes the personal histories of our Black brothers and sisters, that is, their own stories of faith, identity, grief, and glory. On Sunday, February 12, our sister Arielle Ford was invited to share one such testimony during our worship service. This is a recording of her powerful words.
1) Where do you detect envy in your life today? If you can, name a specific person (or kind of person) you envy.
2) How does the self-giving friendship of Jesus begin to heal the envy of our hearts?
1) What are some fears you’re struggling with today? In what ways do you fail to be courageous?
2) How does knowing that Jesus slayed the ultimate “giant” begin to give you strength before your fears?
1) What are some ways you find yourself accepting or rejecting people (including yourself!) on the basis outward appearance?
2) How does the story of God’s choice of David encourage you? Challenge you?
1) What are your biggest questions related to the topic of social “justice”?
2) In your own words, how does justice relate to Christian spirituality?
1. Take a moment to reflect over this past year, how was God’s grace evident in your life?
2. In what ways do you believe Jesus is directing you to live differently from last year?
1. Is suffering or difficulty in life bringing you anxiety and worry? How so?
2. Have you brought your anxiety before, God and trusted his care for you in these matters? Why, or why not?
1) What’s one thing about Christmas that you’re looking forward to? That you’re NOT looking forward to?
2) In your own words, how does Jesus serve as our “priest”? What might it look like for you to go to Jesus as your priest?
1) What’s one question you have about the meaning of Christmas?
2) In your own words, how does Jesus serve as our “prophet”? How might this perspective shape you in the coming week?